Everything else being equal… the faster you write, the more money you make.
Or, the more time you have to do other things.
Here are some things I’ve done to put the pedal to the writing metal:
1. Write every day – Writing is a muscle. It gets stronger with use. When you do it every day it’s easier and flows more quickly.
2. Write fast, edit slow – Trying to edit as you write is like driving a car with the brakes on. It slows you down and burns you out. You’ll write more compellingly as well if you get it out in one get-it-off-your-chest burst.
3. Write from the heart, not from the head – Try talking… and thinking… about… every… single… thing… you… say… It would take forever and you would sound stilted and artificial. Which is how most writing sounds. Become the prospect, feel their pain, and then just TALK to them through your words.
4. Shorten the timespan – Parkinson’s Law is so true: The more time you have to work on something, the more time it takes to do it. I find a project that would take me 10 hours if I did a concentrated effort over two days instead takes me 30 hours if I’m foolish enough to spread out the writing over a month.
5. Focused concentration – Did you know it takes you 10 to 20 minutes to get back on task after any kind of interruption? You’ve heard it before but you need to really do it – shut off all notifications on your computer, exit your email, put your phone on airplane mode and put it in a drawer, and put a “do not disturb” sign on the door and mean it.
6. Measure and adjust accordingly – The management guru Peter Drucker once said: “You can’t manage what you can’t measure.” This is doubly true of writing speed and productivity. Track how long it takes you to do things. Keep trying to improve. Notice what helps and what doesn’t. Turn it into a game… keep trying to beat your previous best.
That’s how you write faster.
But what if you could write faster AND better – imagine what that would do for your writing career or your business.
There may be no better way to get better than my new course, A-List Copywriting Secrets, which you can check out here.
Leave A Comment